I thought that it would be interesting to create an interview with Hamlet so far. Hamlet at the end of act 3 leaves more questions than answers and at this point I would like to take what I think and create a pretend interview.
Me: Welcome Hamlet
Hamlet: I feel most welcome indeed.
Me: So how are you feeling at this point? I mean, your mother seemed pretty surprised when you told her about how King Claudius killed your father but do you still feel betrayed at this point.
Hamlet: Actually I do. My mother means well I think. She is always my mother and I cannot forget that. I almost did lose myself but then my father appeared and reminded me of my duty to him and to my mother. I do feel betrayed though. It is as if everyone is conspiring against me in one way or another.
Me: How do you mean, "conspiring against" you?
Hamlet: Look at the facts, for I am a logical person. My best friends, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern were brought here by my uncle simply to spy on me! My mother married my uncle too soon after my father's death. Furthermore, my uncle killed his own brother! That not only is betrayal to me but to my father, to this state, and to the welfare of the kingdom. The kingdom cannot be strong if it is focused on the scandalous marriage of Claudius and Gertrude.
Me: Are you worried for the kingdom? Is there a particular reason why it needs to stay strong?
Hamlet: Well, there is potential for war right now with Norway. And with my plans to kill Claudius, I do not see how Denmark will stay alive through war. But, if people would not focus on the scandal and more about preparing for war then I don't think that it should be an issue if Claudius dies because the people will be prepared to protect the land.
Me: So, you have decided to kill Claudius.
Hamlet: Yes, I have. As soon as I heard him confess the murder of my father I knew what I had to do.
Me: And what do you have to do Hamlet?
Hamlet: I must kill my uncle to avenge my father.
Me: You speak of this murder all too matter of factly, do you possible think that you could be going a little crazy?
Hamlet: No I do not, though others are of different opinion. I have logically thought through all of my actions. Of course everyone snaps under stress from time to time but I see no reason why that should lead to accusations of insanity.
Me: Well then, sounds like you are set for act 4. Thank you for coming.
Hamlet: Pleasure.
No comments:
Post a Comment