Monday, October 3, 2011

Reflection: writing a paper (Summer Reading Analysis Paper)

Writing a proper, well thought out paper takes a lot of effort, time, and interest. The amount of time spent on a paper includes the time it takes to do a pre-write or brainstorm, a rough draft, a final draft, and a revision. This can easily take weeks. Effort wise, you must always know what you are talking about. So, to that point, you have to have done prior work to understand what you are writing about. If you don't truly understand what you are writing, then your reader won't understand either. This leads to an unpleasant grade. Finally, interest is extremely important. Be passionate in what you are writing, know what you want to say it and be thoughtful about how you put what you want to say on paper. The interest you take into your topic will help you analyze a subject to its fullest extent. For example, I did a paper about The Picture Of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. This novel is full of literary merit that is ready to be analyzed. I discovered a parallel between two main characters. The characters are Basil and Dorian. Once I saw their connection and how the two were so closely related in personality, I was ready to write a paper. I took my time writing a thesis (which ended up being about 4 lines long), but in the end, my thesis in my opinion, covered a good amount of what I was to write about in my actual paper. I took time on my pre write as well. I found all my quotes and attempted to directly relate to my thesis. As for effort and time, I probably could have put more time into my paper. The effort I put into the time I used was not wasted however. But if I had put in more time and thus more effort, my paper would have been not only longer, but also more in depth. So as a reflection for my next paper, I will say that I should spend more time concentrating on time and and effort. My interest is there. Once I get an idea, I run with it. Its just a matter of how much time I spend running with it and how hard I work with my idea. In general I have no problem analyzing a text. In fact, I enjoy finding the little things that are hard to discover within a long novel of words and sentences. The structure of different novels interest me. The effort I put into a project or paper is interesting and I enjoy working hard on something I am interested in. However, I have to find time and work with my time to create the masterpiece that I am looking to create. Overall, I am happy with my paper. However, I do have some regrets in that I know I could have done better and I know what I did wrong. Fortunately, I know what I did wrong, and I know how to fix it for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment