Sunday, October 30, 2011
Why I dislike Edna so much
In The Awakening by Kate Chopin, Edna is sometimes seen as a powerful young woman with a feminist heart. I however, see her as a disgrace to woman kind and a coward. Although this may seem harsh, I really believe that my analysis is correct. There are women like Adele who I do not like all that much either. There should be a balance between Edna and Adele. Adele takes full responsibility for her household and is very "womanly." She looks after her children and cares for her husband. Edna however, goes with whatever whim comes to her. She could care less about her children and she has no problem with cheating on her husband. Generally with novels like this, where the main character is a feminist, the man is usually portrayed as evil or as the antagonist of the story. In The Awakening however, Leonce is a kind gentleman that cares for his wife and wants the best for his children. He does not do anything wrong or expect anything huge from his wife. He makes money to feed the family and does what society tells him to do. Edna on the other hand, denies all forms of responsibility and decides to be abnormally selfish. Many characters in the novel are selfish in some way for that is how society works. but with Edna, she acts like a child. She does not care to help her husband which is seen when she decides to be "out of the house" instead of accepting visitors on Tuesdays. That is one of her only jobs and she drops it. She doesn't even bother to tell her husband either. The greatest act of selfishness on her part is probably when she kills herself. While that time is full of meaning and symbolism on behalf of Kate Chopin, I can not help but think that Edna is being a terrible person. She can not be with Robert because of her time and because of her marriage. So in her mind, it is logical to kill herself because she can not be with Robert. She does not care for her kids either. In fact, she thinks of them as "antagonists." She has tired of society and does not wish to be a part of her life anymore. She has made the decision to just let go. She does not care for the repercussions of her act. She simply thinks about how she can't be with Robert. She can have a comfortable general lifestyle with Leonce but in her mind, if she can't be with Robert, she can't be alive. I find Edna to be a silly, impulsive, annoying girl (not woman) of whom if I ever met someone like her, I would probably not like her. She is way ahead of her time and is too selfish to recognize that she should continue with life to take care of her family. She definately could've survived a relatively comfortable lifestyle with her current husband. For those reasons, I don't like Edna.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment