Saturday, November 19, 2011
Shakespeare Night
This weekend my friend and I went to the production of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream performed by Georgia Perimeter College and Dunwoody Playcrafters. My friend is in college english with GPC and for extra credit she had to come to the show. I tagged along so that maybe I could get a good blog out of it. The play was very interesting. Of course, these actors are not necessarily professional but the overall effect was there. In true Shakespeare fashion, there were few props and the actors had to project their voices rather than use microphones (this is what the actors for Shakespeare did since they had no microphones in The Globe). The play was rather funny and I found myself laughing despite the non-professional acting. When Titania falls in love with Bottom, I had to laugh. When Hermia discovers that Helena has the love of Demetrius as well as Lysander, I could not help but laugh at the priceless face of jealousy. If this is truly how Shakespeare meant for his work to be portrayed (and I hope it is), then I think he had a mind for comedy. My favorite character in the play was Puck. Played by girl, Puck was by far my favorite. The whimsical and rather immature nature the actor put on for this servant of Oberon's was quite intriguing. I will say that I have never read nor studies A Midsummer Night's Dream and therefore I do not know the play as anything other than what I saw tonight. At the end of the play Bottom "wakes" up from his "dream" and attempts to create a play from it. This involves a person that acts as a wall, one that acts as moonshine, a lion, and two characters (though their names escape me right now). This "play" that Bottom has created had a lot of rhyming and I was trying to pay attention to each word so as to attempt to write a good blog. Apparently this rubbed off on me because as we left my friend said to me, "To Starbucks we go?" and I in turn replied without thinking "I think so." Dang. That rhymed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment