Sunday, November 13, 2011

What's My Philosophy?

As a human being I find that I am not very pessimistic or against society. So in this philosophy packet for Grendel, about half or more of these philosophies can be crossed out to define me. I tend to look out for others and I sometimes put their wants and needs before my own. However, I confess, I am not some heroine that looks out only for others and not ever for myself. So for that reason I am not a pure altruist. I am selfish sometimes. Of course, all human beings are selfish in some way. Even Mother Theresa most likely experienced some selfish moments in her life. I look for truth thorough out my life. I believe in God but I also believe in facts and science. I have found the balance between the two. God does not predetermine my actions. Due to this belief I am not a determinist. Since I do believe in some sort of divine power, I am not an atheist either. While facts and science rule a large part of the world around us, I think that also emotion rules the people. Without emotion ruling some part of ourselves, we would have no love, no friendship, and for that matter, no hate. So while I do try to look at many problems objectively, I cannot help but be subjective in many matters. Thus, I am no rationalist. To continue this list of what I am not, I will just say that my life's philosophy is not postmodernism, existentialism, nihilism, fatalism, solipsism, marxism, the process philosophy of A. N. Whitehead. The only philosophy left is relativism. According to my packet, it says that "Relativism is the belief that truth and value are relative to an observer or group of observers. One example of this doctrine is "cultural relativism", which claims that different cultures have different, but perfectly legitimate and equally valid, standards of truth and value." Looking at all of the philosophies, this one comes closest to my personal beliefs. There are a few holes here too though. I don't believe that the doctrines from the mafia or terrorist group have any sort of legitimacy  or validity. However, I do think that every group of people believe something different and that if that belief makes them happy and doesn't harm others then it is valid enough for me to be considered moral. Even if only one person has a separate belief from everyone else in the world, if that belief makes that specific person happy, then who is society to break that person's happiness by destroying their beliefs. So for these reasons, I think that I am most closely a relativist. I think that everyone is different and should be able to have the validity that everyone wants from their beliefs and values. There is truth behind everything and I think that that is something worth understanding. If we can study another person’s beliefs, then we just may learn something new to add to our own beliefs and values. 

No comments:

Post a Comment